Monday, June 18, 2007

Time for an update!



Well, it's definitely time for a blog update. I blame the recent lack on a 2 week cold that knocked me for a loop. I'm finally getting over it and Elijah doesn't seem to have picked it up (knock on wood!!) despite being around two constantly hacking parents. So... where to begin? Well, let's talk about food. We're well into the regime of solids now. He eats 3 square meals a day and nurses to fill in the gaps. His list of solid foods now is quite extensive. It includes:

rice cereal (plain and banana flavored)
oat cereal
apples
pears
avocado
banana
prunes (a weekly necessity at this point!)
carrots
green beans
squash
sweet potato
congee with chicken or beef, courtesy of Yehyeh

Today I'm also going to make him some cantelope and brocoli.

I find that he still doesn't like veggies all that much. I generally either mix them with congee, rice cereal or fruits. I can get him to eat pretty much anything if I mix it with apple. In fact, I think that's his favorite followed by apple/carrot mixes or just pears. It's pretty funny though, no matter what I give him, the first couple mouthfuls always get the "EEWWW! What are you trying to feed me?" face. Luckily that only lasts for a couple bites and then it's fine. The real way to tell if he dislikes something is by the gagging. :) He's also learned not to be picky about food temperature, which is great. He'll accept anything from quite warm to slushy. :)

Elijah has also made quite big improvements in his mobility lately. He's quite the little squirmer. He rolls in all directions and moves 360 on either his back or his front. He's getting close to crawling but hasn't been up on his hands and knees together yet. It's either one or the other. When he's up on his hands he pushes himself backwards pretty readily. It's quite common for him to get stuck on a chair leg or the arches on his playing mat. He's also into everything. He's got to grab for anything he sees (including the cats!) and whatever he can get goes into his mouth. There are only 2 downsides to his current agility. One is that now he gets his arms and legs stuck between crib bars once in a while. The second is that the house is nowhere near kid proof and I think he's going to be crawling pretty soon! :) He's also sitting up by himself pretty well. I just have to sit with him so that when he makes a sudden move and over balances he doesn't bash his head! :)


He hasn't been sleeping very well lately and I'm not sure why. It could be he was fighting off that cold Gary and I had. It could be he's actually getting a tooth now. He's been drooling even more lately and we think we might see one coming through. Or it could be he's in another growing spurt. We weighed him on Saturday night and according to our scale he's just over 20lbs!

So, the other big thing that happened lately was a road trip to Vernon for Elijah and I. Gary went down to San Jose for work so rather than sit around home I decided we needed to go visit Grandma and Grandpa in Vernon. It was pretty daunting to consider doing the drive by myself with Elijah, but it worked out just fine. We were staying out at Mara lake with Mom and Dad, at their friend's "cabin". Basically just a summer home on the lake that still under construction. Beautiful place even if there still isn't any phone service or tv. :) It was a good trip overall even though it rained the whole time (had to buy a rain jacket for Elijah since we didn't bring warm clothes!) and I started getting a sore throat.

We didn't take many pictures from the trip but there are a few. The first one's are from our visit with Uncle Bill and Aunty Betty. Long ago, when we lived in Lavington (from 0 to age ~3 for me) they were our neighbors. When I was 2 years old and my parents went to Hawaii for 2 weeks, I stayed with them. So, here is when they met Elijah. (Mom, maybe you could print these out and take a copy to them when you see them next.)





The only other pictures we took were in his bath. He was sucking his toes and we were all having a good laugh at him. I didn't manage to capture the actual toe sucking on camera but I'll put up one of the pictures anyways. :)

No comments: